Sleep disturbances are common and familiar to everyone. Sleep disorders are seen by doctors as an important symptom of health problems. In addition, insomnia is a reaction of the nervous system and psyche to overload, lack of adequate recovery, and prolonged stress.
Insomnia is one of the most common forms of sleep disorders. See a doctor if you have sleep problems, especially recurring ones.
Many techniques are used to restore sleep:
- elimination (if possible) of the cause of insomnia,
- water procedures (warm bath before bedtime),
- physical activity, psychotherapy (autogenous training, relaxation and trance techniques),
- reflex therapy and many others.
But the most common and convenient way is to take sleeping pills.
The use of sleeping pills has its advantages: they are convenient for one-time and long-term use, they act quickly, and have a general sedative effect.
There are also negative sides: they cause sleep of an unnatural structure, many hypnotics, when taken constantly, cause dependence, respiratory depression, general inhibition the next day after administration.
Barbiturates (barbituric acid preparations)
The very first official sleeping pills was Veronal, which was discovered in 1903 and became the ancestor of a whole group of sleeping pills called barbiturates.
Due to the frequent side effects (respiratory depression, pressure drop, impaired coordination and general inhibition, the development of mental and physical dependence) and the emergence of newer generations of hypnotics, the use of barbiturates has now become a rarity.
To date, two drugs remain from this group:
- Phenobarbital. It is used as a hypnotic and anticonvulsant. It is widely used as part of multicomponent drugs with analgesic, anticonvulsant and sedative effects.
- Cyclobarbital. Part of the RELADORM preparation. It has a strong hypnotic effect.
Medicines from the group of barbiturates are potent, so they can be purchased in pharmacies only with special prescriptions. Not recommended for long-term use due to the possible development of addiction.
Benzodiazepines (second generation sleeping pills)
It is the most common group of sleeping pills. The hypnotic effect is caused by a specific effect on the benzodiazepine receptors in the brain and an increase in the inhibitory effect of GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid).
They have good efficacy, better tolerance and fewer side effects than barbiturates. Among the disadvantages: daytime sleepiness and muscle relaxation are possible, with prolonged use, addiction develops, as a result of which, in order to achieve a hypnotic effect, it is necessary to increase the dose.
The most common benzodiazepine sleeping pills are:
- Nitrazepam (radedorm, eunoktin, nitram) . Induces sleep 30-40 minutes after ingestion for up to 8 hours. One of the most effective drugs in its group. In addition to restoring sleep, it is used for anxiety, epilepsy, withdrawal symptoms caused by alcohol and drug addiction.
- Flunitrazepam ( Rohypnol , Somnubene) . It differs from nitrazepam in a more rapid onset of effect and better tolerance due to a lesser inhibitory effect on the next day after administration.
- Flurazepam . It stands out for its longer hypnotic effect, sleep can reach 24 hours.
- Brotizolam (lendormin) . It is distinguished by good tolerance and short action, the sleep caused by taking the drug reaches only a few hours. Recommended for such sleep disorders in which the process of falling asleep and the initial phase of sleep are disturbed.
- Midazolam (dormicum, fullsed). This medicine is characterized by a very strong, but short-term hypnotic effect. It is used only under the direct supervision of a doctor in a hospital.
Other benzodiazepines in the tranquilizer group can also have hypnotic effects, but they are rarely used to restore sleep. This:
- diazepam (seduxen, relanium, sibazon)
- clonazepam, alprozole (xanax), etc.
Sleeping pills of the third generation
It is the most convenient for taking due to the good tolerance of the drug. They cause rapid falling asleep, act for a short time, rarely cause side effects.
- Zolpidem (ivadal, sanval) .
- Zolpiklon (imovan, somnol, relaxon) .
- Suvoreksant (Belsomra) .
Sleeping pills not included in certain groups of drugs
- Doxylamine (donormil, unisom). It is produced in the form of effervescent tablets, which allows to accelerate the onset of hypnotic effects. Effective for mild and short-term sleep disturbances.
- Clomethiazole (Hemeneurin). It is part of the vitamin B1 (thiamine) molecule. Convenient in that it exists in the form of a powder for the preparation of a solution for intravenous administration. It has a strong hypnotic effect.
- Bromized (bromural). Light sleeping pill.
Buy over the counter Sleeping Pill in Canada
Sleeping pills are available at all sports nutrition stores. Almost every manufacturer has a number of similar drugs in its assortment. But I recommend buying sleeping pills in Canada from us, BestBolic.ws, since we provide those that belong to a group of drugs, the quality, composition and clinical efficacy of which are strictly regulated.